Meat from Walmart

Big Man Dan

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
I've been researching meat prices in my area after having been fleeced recently on a roast at my local Dierberg's (my own fault for not knowing better). Walmart seems to have pretty good prices but I don't usually think of Walmart for good quality meats. What say you?

I've been researching meat prices in my area after having been fleeced recently on a roast at my local Dierberg's (my own fault for not knowing better). Walmart seems to have pretty good prices but I don't usually think of Walmart for good quality meats. What say you?
Just keep an eye on the labels to see if they are mechanically tenderized. Costco and Walmart are known to do that to a lot of their portion packaged beef.
Mechanically tenderized is supposed to be cooked more to kill any bacteria that may have been pushed into the meat when they tenderized it

The labels usually say 160°F internal temperature or higher.
So if you like medium rare, this may not be your best choice for grilling.

I haven't really found any small/local butcher shops near me since I moved, so I have been buying steaks at Publix and Wal-Mart when I need something quick. I wouldn't say either is great, but the Wal-Mart ones are definitely better than the Publix ones. And less expensive. I've never tried Aldi.

Dude, since we both live in STL, I stopped shopping 'meat' at Dierbergs a long time ago, probably the worst meat in STL.
I have gotten awesome ribeyes, chuckies, even mini briskets from ADLIS and loved everyone of them.
Aldis beef is very hard to beat.

Walmart meat is basically a cheaper grade of Sam's meat. Pork is fine and sometimes at great prices at Walmart but not beef for the reason Jake said.

Watch Aldi's weekly ADs, they get special meats in from time to time and I aways snatch them up.

I haven't really found any small/local butcher shops near me since I moved, so I have been buying steaks at Publix and Wal-Mart when I need something quick. I wouldn't say either is great, but the Wal-Mart ones are definitely better than the Publix ones. And less expensive. I've never tried Aldi.
Interesting. My Publix is solid. Definitely better than Walmart.

I buy mostly pork butts and boneless chicken thighs and baby back ribs at walmart, brisket occasionally. Never had an issue and everyone loves the taste after it’s prepared seasoned and cooked/smoked.

Dude, since we both live in STL, I stopped shopping 'meat' at Dierbergs a long time ago, probably the worst meat in STL.
I have gotten awesome ribeyes, chuckies, even mini briskets from ADLIS and loved everyone of them.

Walmart meat is basically a cheaper grade of Sam's meat. Pork is fine and sometimes at great prices at Walmart but not beef for the reason Jake said.

Watch Aldi's weekly ADs, they get special meats in from time to time and I aways snatch them up.
Hmm. I guess I'll have to check Aldi's out. The boxes of stuff all over the floors always scared me away.

If anyone else on here is in Volusia county FL - there's a shop in Port Orange called Gaff's that has pretty good stuff. They just close early during the week and are closed on Sundays. Wish they were a little closer to me so that I had time to get there after work. They also have another location in DeLand that is supposed to be bigger but I haven't made it there yet.

I do get these little babies at dierbergs for only $5.99

20211209_113534.jpg

Not a true filet mignon, but I season both sides, set Traeger to 270° (which is really 250) and no sear involved, just go to 135° IT and cut into them... they turn out awesome

Thanks for guidance Slim! I have a neighbor who also swears by Aldi's. I'll give them a try. (Didn't realize Dierberg's meats were so bad).

Walmart’s Choice Angus steaks are top notch. They’re supplied by 44Farms Angus in Cameron, Texas. I typically buy my other beef from H‑E‑B, it’s just a further drive.

Back