Low temp

Is it hot there? I had that problem with the Pro 22 so I upgraded to the 575, it holds low temps enough to do jerky easy.

What is it you are trying to do, use the "warming" feature?

It was 80 here or so. I was trying to smoke at 165-180 and I couldn’t get it to drop down even when I gave it plenty of time. Stayed around 190-200. Thanks for the reply

Was it in the direct sunlight?

Also, what are you using to PROVE your real internal pit temp???
Traeger Temp Probe can be off by 25°, the grill is telling you it's 200 but it might be lower than that

The whole Traeger temp system is very cheap and never accurate. You should have a permanent internal pit probe installed on every cook and if it's reliable, you go by that probe instead of Traeger probe

Thanks for the advice. It wasn’t in direct sun, but close. I’ll try to shade it next cook and check the temp inside with another probe. I wasn’t getting much smoke at 200 and that’s why I was trying 165. I gave it plenty of time to cool down to the temp. Food turned out great, just wondering why it wouldn’t drop. I will check what you guys suggested. Thanks again. John

My grill can easily reach internal temps of 130 degrees on a hot day here in Chicagoland even before I ignite the fire. My grill is exposed to sun from morning to around 2:00 pm.

Note that the auger must maintain a minimum feed rate to prevent the fire from dying out which is equivalent to the 165 degree minimum in a Traeger. Any heat from the environment means that it cannot go as low as 165 degrees. Direct sunlight is the extreme and can add as much as 35 degrees, meaning the lowest temperature you get is 200 degrees.

If you want to hit 165 degrees you should wait until it is cooler late in the evening and without direct sunlight.

Latest Discussions

Back