Loud Noise/Temperature RTD/Chimney Cleanout

jersmith26

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
I have a Texas Elite, purchased 3.5 years ago at Costco, it gets a lot of use, several times/week. About a month ago I notice a loud, somewhat whiny noise when I would turn it on. Once it got to temp it seemed to stop but would come back again every time it seemed to be trying to increase the temperature. I called Trager support and was on the phone for about an hour and the agent told me based on the diagnostics it was probably the temperature RTD probe. I didn't really see how the probe could be causing the noise but since I had an extra probe I decided to give it a try. While the replacement should be an easy task, getting the screws out of the bracket on the existing probe was a pain but finally got it out and the new probe in. Plug the grill in an amazingly the noise was gone and everything now works perfectly.

Another tip or suggestion as to cleaning: While I was working on the grill I decided to check the chimney, unscrewed the cover and it had soot and inch or more thick on the underside and chimney stack was caked in soot as well. Glad I checked and got everything cleaned. Will check it more often and clean the probe off more often as well.

Hope this might be of help to someone else.

I found that crap in my smoke stack once also... I cleaned it. I use added smoke from tubes and Smokin-it generator too tho...

Back