Is this rust a problem?

ivqancorp

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Traeger BBQ075
IMG_1252.jpg

Purchased a used BBQ075, cleaning it out before using and found this on top of the auger. How bad is this? Complete replacement? Just a little W-40? What's the solution?

Hard to tell from the picture. Not able to zoom in. What happens if you try to scrape it off? Try googling "food safe ways to remove and prevent rust" and you'll find some tips & tricks that might help you without the use of chemicals. I've used the lemon/salt and potato method in the past and they've worked well.

View attachment 10146

Purchased a used BBQ075, cleaning it out before using and found this on top of the auger. How bad is this? Complete replacement? Just a little W-40? What's the solution?

I would not spray it with WD-40, but with cooking spray like PAM. Same goes with the heat deflector.

I would just do a light sanding to remove the surface rust, both pieces will always be discolored from normal use. The grease tray can be covered using wide heavy duty aluminum foil or pre-made drip pan, I use foil much cheaper and works just as well, throw the foil away after each use. No need to replace with new ones.

Cooking spray and a torch!!! Burn it black and be on your way

Some rust is normal. Don't try to sand off all the rust as you will be removing good steel as well.

Never use something inside your grill that you would not want to eat. I doubt you would want to eat WD-40 as it contains petroleum distillates that might be harmful.

Suitable oils would be food grade mineral oil, some type of cooking oil, paraffin wax, or beeswax. You can use a cast iron conditioner made of cooking oil and beeswax. If you use a cooking oil spray like PAM, use the high temperature version designed for grilling. After treating your grill, be sure to run it through a seasoning cycle. The high temperature at the end of the cycle causes the wax and oils to polymerize forming a protective layer on the grill.

Back