Ironwood 885 Issue

Torstenlaw

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
My Traeger is almost a year old. On day one when I was unpacking it and the thermocoupler cover pulled off the protective cover. No biggie it still seemed to work as well as they do. After a few months I noticed that changing the temp on the BBQ with the knob wasn't functioning properly. Lowering the temp would actually increase the temp of the grill. The app still worked though and playing with it would eventually get it right. I lived with it for a few months and checked to see if the knob was slipping, but it was fine.

Decided to call Traeger CS and get the issues fixed. Well, I gotta say it was resolved in about 10 mins through their chat. I sent them a couple of videos and they are sending me a new thermocoupler and board. Received them in 3 days!!

Just thought I would share the experience in case any one else had the same issues.

The first time I cleaned my IW885 last summer, one of the grates bumped the thermocouple and the ceramic coating protecting the junction cracked. Rather than replace the thermocouple, I purchased a tube of red, high-temp RTV silicone. I used a toothpick to place a thin layer of silicone over the exposed junction and allowed it to cure. The silicone has held up well and the thermocouple still works, at least is works as well as most Traeger thermocouples, which is to say not all that great. The silicone is easier to clean than the ceramic and being slightly flexible, it is less prone to damage. I am not sure why Traeger decided to go with the ceramic cap rather than a silicone coating.

Back