Ironwood 650 Fan Issue

Kansasclipper

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
Sometimes, more frequently lately, when opening the lid on my Ironwood 650, the fan will really slow down or shut down completely. For instance, maybe I am going to spritz a pork butt or wrap a brisket, or flip a steak. Once the lid is closed, after a minute or 2, it will start running again. It will do it smoking at 225 or searing steaks at 450. I bought this grill in November of 2020. It started doing this late last summer. Any r?

The fan turns on and off as needed. Does it seem to be holding the temp you set it at?

Yes if I don't open the lid. It only shuts off when I open it. Didn't do it before.

I have an Ironwood 650, and mine does that too. As long as it hold the temp, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

When I open the lid on my 780 and the temp starts to drop in the chamber, the fan speeds up and you can hear the fire getting more intense.

Have you cleaned the rtd tip lately?

When I open the lid on my 780 and the temp starts to drop in the chamber, the fan speeds up and you can hear the fire getting more intense.

Have you cleaned the rtd tip lately?

There may be a difference in the control schemes of the 780 and newer models like the Ironwood and Timberline.
The newer models do not have smoke stacks. They exhaust downward through slits in the back. If the fan speed ramps up when you open the lid, it will just blow hot air and smoke in your face. The newer D2 controllers might recognize that a sudden temperature drop is related to the lid being open and reduce the fan speed until the temperature stabilizes. I cannot confirm that, but that is my suspiciion based on what I have seen with my Ironwood.

That may also be why Traeger recommends shutting the lid as soon as you ignite the grill. I normally leave my lid open until I start to see a little smoke from the fire pot.

There may be a difference in the control schemes of the 780 and newer models like the Ironwood and Timberline.
The newer models do not have smoke stacks. They exhaust downward through slits in the back. If the fan speed ramps up when you open the lid, it will just blow hot air and smoke in your face. The newer D2 controllers might recognize that a sudden temperature drop is related to the lid being open and reduce the fan speed until the temperature stabilizes. I cannot confirm that, but that is my suspiciion based on what I have seen with my Ironwood.

That may also be why Traeger recommends shutting the lid as soon as you ignite the grill. I normally leave my lid open until I start to see a little smoke from the fire pot.
The Pro 780 does have the D2 controller but not the super smoke option.

I’m having the exact same problem with the exact same grill, Ironwood 650. Only a year old, lightly used. Never had an issue until recently. This issue started all of a sudden. Fan stops when the lid is opened. Starts a sec after the lid is closed but seems to struggle to gain temp back.

Contacted Traeger about it, chatted for nearly 2 hours answering questions and they can’t seem to be able to pin point the issue. Traeger says the fan should never shut off and should run constantly throughout the cook.

Cleaned everything after the issue started, checked the fan, checked controller connections, etc.

Latest Discussions

Back