Increasing smoke

Thenn99

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
Has anybody tried blocking all or part of the chimney to increase smoke

@Slimpicker atrempted a chimney mod a while back and that resulted in wild fluctuations in temperature inside the smoker. I have inadvertently over loaded my top shelf on my IW650 which affected airflow to the rear vent and I was seeing the same fluctuations. Just with those results I would say it isn't 100% feasible. Chimney models have an adjustable top cap, so you may be able to adjust that a bit, but I doubt that it will result in more smoke. We didn't see more smoke in either case noted above, just temperature fluctuations.
You can always experiment and then report back on your findings

Already tried and debunked... it actually worked for short smokes like chicken, but not for anything over an hour for steady temp. I don't even bother anymore, just use my smoke tubes and generator

Smoke tubes are so easy to use and work so well that they are the only solution anyone needs. Why risk messing up the Traeger when a good solution is available. Here is Slim's video showing you how to do it:

you can choke any wood/coal smoker, in-fact intake and choking flue is the only way to regulate the pit temp...
Not in a Traeger ;)

I’ve tried doing what the Traeger site suggested and lowering the temp at the beginning. I just smoked to pork butts. I started them at 190 (as per Traeger suggestion since the Pro575 doesn’t have super smoke). I did the 190 for 3 hours the upped it to normal 225 I use for pork butts. Then finished everything else as normal and I got a good smoke on them.

Back