Ignition button not working

TF_Guest

Reaction score
Hi there! I haven’t used my Traegar in a little bit, but today I pulled it out to use. I checked the pellets, the auger, everything. When I plugged it in, I closed the lid, set the temp and was prompted to “push ignite to start grill” which I did. Nothing happened. I tried several times, and after 30 minutes I even tried shutting it down and starting over. It still did not work. I’m a little frustrated as I’ve not had this grill for very long and I have only used it a handful of times.

What kind of grill? Have you tried contacting Traeger support? Can you hear the auger moving?

There is a hot rod in the grill that heats up to ignite the pellets. It is possible that the hot rod is bad and needs replacement. However, it is also possible that in your checking out other parts you knocked the connector loose for the hot rod at the control panel.

I suggest removing all the grates, drip tray and heat deflector shield from the grill so you can observe what is happening in the burn pot. Vacuum all the pellets out of the pot. Then try using the auger priming feature to see if pellets are being fed into the pot; you should be able to hear them drop into the pot. Be sure to set a grill temperature and confirm it by pressing the knob. Then try to ignite the grill with the lid open. I recommend that you wear safety glasses to protect your eyes in case the burn pot throws sparks.

If you see no evidence of the pellets starting to smoke as they heat up, remove the control panel from the pellet box and make sure all connectors are properly secured. If the grill still does not ignite, it might be time to replace the hot rod. There are videos on YouTube that will show you how to do this.

If you have an Ace Hardware store nearby, they usually have Traeger replacement parts in stock. You can also get Traeger OEM or 3rd party replacement parts from Amazon or other online outlets.

Latest Discussions

Back