How to clear pellet auger for storage?

TBob

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
I am looking for an easy way to clear the pellet auger in my Timberline 850 when I am not planning to use the grill for an extended amount of time. I don't want to leave pellets in the auger since they could deteriorate with humidity. I know I can partially disassemble the auger tube to do this but I am hoping that there is a simpler way.

Thanks!

You can always use the prime auger function a couple of times to push through any of the remaining pellets into the burn pot. You will need to scoop or vacuum out the pellets once they are in there
That is a great suggestion. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

That is a great suggestion. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

It'll work because the 'hot rod' doesn't turn on during this cycle... (Jake, you typed faster than I did...LOL)

It'll work because the 'hot rod' doesn't turn on during this cycle... (Jake, you typed faster than I did...LOL)
Thanks for the explanation. I had thought of the priming cycle but wasn't sure what else might be going on at the same time. Looks like I have my solution 👍

It's the method I have used to winterize mine. Works well. I prefer to vacuum out the pellets, only because scooping may lead to some falling through the air holes in the pot

Plug in the grill to an electrical outlet and turn on using the switch on the back of the grill. Add hardwood pellets to the hopper. On your controller, Navigate to Select Auger > Prime Auger. Once pellets begin to fall into the firepot, select Done to turn off the auger.

This tells us it's safe and no fire starts yet

Is there a way to do this, by hand, on a Pro 34?

Had a Pro 34 for some time now, NEVER had a jam or anything. Was almost 24 hours into a very slow brisket cook when I noticed the temp going down. After the smoke cleared, we found that the firepot was full of smoldering pellets.

We used to use Lumberjack pellets, but my local Rural King switched to their own brand and this is the third cook using those pellets. It's a pretty humid day in middle Tennesse though.

Thanks for the help.

Back