How long on a hopper full?

RodeoCookies

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 34
I'm new here so please forgive me because I'm going to have a lot of questions that may be common knowledge to many of you.
I'm wondering how long a full hopper of pellets might last if I were to smoke something overnight like a pork butt or a brisket?
Also will I need to check on the smoker during the night in case the pellets get stuck and the smoker shuts off?

That’s a loaded question, there are a lot variables. My last overnighter was 45f over night. I went to bed around midnight woke around 7am, there still was about 3” of pellets in the hopper. Depending on outside temp figure about 1 1/2 pounds per hour, this can vary widely depending on outside temp..

As far as overnights go, get a thermometer with a low temp alarm, I got a FireBoard, it’s spendy but in my opinion well worth it.

I'm new here so please forgive me because I'm going to have a lot of questions that may be common knowledge to many of you.
I'm wondering how long a full hopper of pellets might last if I were to smoke something overnight like a pork butt or a brisket?
Also will I need to check on the smoker during the night in case the pellets get stuck and the smoker shuts off?
I've done a couple of briskets started overnight and as Timmy mentioned, lots of variables including outside temp, the pellets themselves, and the temp you're running. Most butts and brisket are done at sub-250 (I always do max 225 for super smoke), and with that, you should not have any issues. And Traeger's app is pretty good about alerting you for certain things, but a temp probe (I have an Inkbird IT-4) is 100% needed as you can monitor the cook itself as well as the temp of the Traeger.

Good luck!

Back