High temps

wjbell

Reaction score
Grill
TFS81PZD
I have a Select Pro. P setting is at 2 or 3, and on the smoke setting the grill runs consistently at 240 to 250 degrees. I live in Denver, it was about 90 degrees today. The sun was on the grill so I put an umbrella over it to shield it. What's going on? I was cooking ribs today, so it was ok, but I can't leave a brisket or butt overnight at that temp.

Could be the pellets. Different pellets produce different BTU’s. Also you can add a water pan to act as a heat sink. Obviously the latter is not necessarily a permanent solution, but just trying to help you possibly work around. Also, if you put it on real late and take it off real early you probably could do overnight. The ambient temperature outside is likely one of the factors.

I think you already know the answer. When the ambient temperature is 70 degrees in sun, my Ironwood heats to 130 degrees without even lighting a fire. In Denver with the temperature at 90 degrees, the high elevation, cloudless skies, and low humidity could well raise that to 150 or more before you ever push the igniter.

There are steps you can take to lower the temperature. Putting the grill in the shade is a good first step. You can also use a fan to disperse the layer of hot air around the grill. If that still is not sufficient, you can spray a mist of water on the grill. Placing a pan of cool water inside the grill might help cool the grill for a while but it will get hot eventually.

8C937B21-D108-48E3-B3C8-79DBA327213E.jpeg

Obviously this is at sea level, but you get the picture.

Latest Discussions

Back