Have you reported your temp probe issues.........

midwest

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Traeger 780
Interesting thought. I was speaking with a lady from customer service about an unrelated issue and asked if any probe updates were coming. She instantly asked why I would say that. I said have you been on the forums, almost every Treager out there has bad temp probes. Not sure if she was just talking out her ass or not but she says as a company they have only received around 5,000 complaints of temp probe issues. I said that seems really high and her answer was out of millions of units sold it is a very low percentage and there random testing shows probes are within 8 degrees.
I know on a forum you hear from the people without problems 100 times more than you do from the people with problems. Do you guys even come close to buying the fact that for every person on here with a probe that is way off there are hundreds of thousand of people who's probes are within 8 degrees or do they know it's an issue and have their reps trained to deflect the issue?

I frequent a lot of forums and most of them you would think the products are junk, ATV's, SXS, Jeep, etc. Because all the people on the #####&&& forum are on there asking about problems. Everyone says you should by a Bronco, and you go to the Bronco forum and everyone on there is asking about fixing issues, making it appear as if they are junk. It is kind of the nature of the beast on forums. I wander if everyone on here who had a probe issue called into Traeger and asked about it if it would ever make a differenc.

Interesting thought. I was speaking with a lady from customer service about an unrelated issue and asked if any probe updates were coming. She instantly asked why I would say that. I said have you been on the forums, almost every Treager out there has bad temp probes. Not sure if she was just talking out her ass or not but she says as a company they have only received around 5,000 complaints of temp probe issues. I said that seems really high and her answer was out of millions of units sold it is a very low percentage and there random testing shows probes are within 8 degrees.
I know on a forum you hear from the people without problems 100 times more than you do from the people with problems. Do you guys even come close to buying the fact that for every person on here with a probe that is way off there are hundreds of thousand of people who's probes are within 8 degrees or do they know it's an issue and have their reps trained to deflect the issue?

I frequent a lot of forums and most of them you would think the products are junk, ATV's, SXS, Jeep, etc. Because all the people on the #####&&& forum are on there asking about problems. Everyone says you should by a Bronco, and you go to the Bronco forum and everyone on there is asking about fixing issues, making it appear as if they are junk. It is kind of the nature of the beast on forums. I wander if everyone on here who had a probe issue called into Traeger and asked about it if it would ever make a differenc.
This is why I don’t have an issue with T’s cheap ass broken piece of crap temp probe. That can be easily fixed. Throw it away. Now I did have the issue with my 620 in which she gladly sent me a new 620 a week later. So I thought customer service was spot on there. Which I exchanged for the 885. Except for the temp probe issue I am happy with my smoking and grilling on the 885, so far. It’s all about the final results. Not everything is going to be spot on perfect. The good thing about Costco Traegers I can take it back.

I suspect most users have no idea. They will learn as they cook, what works and what doesn't.

Traeger's are pretty consistent, but many are not cooking at the indicated temp. Could be higher or lower as we know.

I have TL 850. Temp probe off as temp goes up. At 225 stays pretty much within range. Set to 325 will go as much as 25 to 30 degrees or more then back down. I now use Fire Board and ignore grill temp. I put grill temp to what is called for then adjust acc to get temp to true temp using FB. So yes Traeger temp probes are not very accurate.

"and her answer was out of millions of units sold"

Traeger sells about 300,000 - 400,000 units a year. Yes that can add up to millions, but she makes it sound like Traeger is selling millions of units a year

I've found it pretty common for customer service people to be in the dark about problems, whether they really are or not is something to ponder, but customer service people rarely acknowledge knowing about a huge problem with something made where they work

No as I don't trust it and use a blue tooth temp that supports 6 probes. The built-in probe is about 15 degrees less than actual.i also use a infrared thermometer to double check the temp.

Nope.

So I did a little test yesterday and had an odd result. First off when I got my inkbird I tested it against my MK4. I started a pot of cold water to boil. I left the probe in and spot checked it numerous times against the MK4 and it was always with a degree or 2, never more than 2 degrees off. The next day i started a cook on my 780 and did the same. I put in an inkbird probe as close as I could get it to the Traeger ambient probe. I watched them both from start to finish and they were very close all the way until the grill reached a temp of 450. Both read within a degree or so. After I lifted the lid to put my food on both probes obviously dropped and then once the temps swings started from the lid up and down a few times they were never close again. The inkbird stayed 20-40 degrees lower than the factory probe. It would get back up to 450 and my inkbird was showing the temps at 400-420 depending. I just thought it was odd they were both spot on during the slow warm up but after that they were off. So far loving the inkbird though....

I had the same type of readings with the FB2 I just bought. My temps did get close in time. Seems like the Traeger processor reacts slower to ambient and food temps changes.

Back