Help! Had to Finish in the Oven

cooklet

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
Unit: Pro 575

Yesterday I was smoking some chicken thighs for dinner. When I checked on the smoker I saw smoke coming from the box where the pellets are held. Not a little but a lot. So much I thought at first there was a fire in the box. Also the temperature had dropped to about 135 F (set point 185 F) and there was no smoke coming from the grease chute.

I am diligent about keeping the Trager clean -- at least weekly in the cold months and more often in the warm months when I use it more.

Any ideas why this is happening?

After the cook, what was left in the fire pot ?

Unit: Pro 575

Yesterday I was smoking some chicken thighs for dinner. When I checked on the smoker I saw smoke coming from the box where the pellets are held. Not a little but a lot. So much I thought at first there was a fire in the box. Also the temperature had dropped to about 135 F (set point 185 F) and there was no smoke coming from the grease chute.

I am diligent about keeping the Trager clean -- at least weekly in the cold months and more often in the warm months when I use it more.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Is it happening often, or is this the first time?

After the cook, what was left in the fire pot ?
A funny looking ash.

Normally the ash is gray in color and fine. This was more a brownish color -- more like clinkers than a proper ash. Also there was way more than I expected for a couple of hours at 185 F. I attached a photo JIC anyone wants to see what it looked like.

I also noticed there was what looked like partially burned pellets in the auger tube. That may explain the smoke coming from the pellet reservoir. Perhaps the the fire walked up into the tube somehow.

What I did was:
  1. Clean the fire pot.
  2. Empty and vacuum out the pellet reservoir
  3. Run the auger priming operation a few time until it looked clear.
  4. Refilled the reservoir
  5. Primed the auger.
  6. Started the Traeger with temperature set at 350 F.
Unfortunately the fire did not start. So, suspecting a problem with the igniter, I pulled the controller and re-seated all the connectors. Then I vacuumed the fire pit again and restarted the Traeger. This time the pellets ignited and the temperature came up more-or-less normally.

Hopefully that will be the last of it.

Attachments

• ash.after.cooking.jpg
    ash.after.cooking.jpg
    532.9 KB · Views: 48
  • crap.that.came.out.of.the.auger.tube.jpg
    crap.that.came.out.of.the.auger.tube.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 46
Is it happening often, or is this the first time?
This is the first time. After a bit of diagnosis, I think it may have been a problem with the the igniter. See my post above.

My thoughts, The auger tube runs done the center of the air tube. So if the firepot has to much junk in it the fire cannot get to the chamber thus burning back into the auger tube. In my experience I would put blame on the pellets. After the igniter lites the pellets and the grill comes up to temp, it shuts off and is not used again until you ignite the grill again.

Bad pellets could be from, dampness, fruity, poor manufacturing, old and crumbly to name a few.If it happens again try a different brand or get fresh of the same brand.

Keep us posted and good luck!👍

in my experience i had clinkers once from a bag of old apple traeger pellets. The clinkers filled the fire pot and eventually clogged the pellets from being able to be ignited. So i had clinkers and partially burned pellets and i couldnt hold temperatures at all. But, i never got smoke out of the hopper

This is what B&B pellet ash looks like. That big ol' rust flake came off my rusty heat deflector. This is after about 6 cooks half are low temp for reverse searing stuff and high temp 375 for kebabs & bacon wrapped shrimp. Not much ash from B&B Pellets.

1649616375699.png

My thoughts, The auger tube runs done the center of the air tube. So if the firepot has to much junk in it the fire cannot get to the chamber thus burning back into the auger tube. In my experience I would put blame on the pellets. After the igniter lites the pellets and the grill comes up to temp, it shuts off and is not used again until you ignite the grill again.
I stand corrected. Thank you.

There ya go. I bet moisture affected them before use.
Is there a better brand? Seems to me any wood pellet would be subject to absorbing moisture but some may be better than others.

After I take the pellets out of the bag I keep then in a five-gallon bucket in the garage from which I transfer them to the hopper as needed. I still live in Southern California where humidity is rarely a problem and the smoker itself is under a canopy.

Some produce more ash than others, Traeger being one of them. Bear Mountain and B&B. Some folks say Pit Boss is good too.

Once you put your pellets in the bucket, a gamma seal list works best to keep it air tight.

Is there a better brand? Seems to me any wood pellet would be subject to absorbing moisture but some may be better than others.

After I take the pellets out of the bag I keep then in a five-gallon bucket in the garage from which I transfer them to the hopper as needed. I still live in Southern California where humidity is rarely a problem and the smoker itself is under a canopy.
If moisture is suspected, the pellets can be dried with a microwave. Try filling a big glass bowl with pellets and putting it in the microwave for about 6 min. If the pellets are hot and steam is rising off them, that was the likely issue. If the pellets are not hot try for a few more min. Now test them in your grill and if they work properly you know, for sure what the problem was.

Back