Grill starts up fine, then loses temp.

CtDMonet

Reaction score
Grill
Elite 700
I'm at a loss. I've had this grill for 7yrs and had few problems (Costco Elite - not sure which model. I generally follow the "circular theory of parts evolution" where you keep replacing parts, starting with the least expensive.

I have:

1. Cleaned bin and replaced pellets.
2. Cleaned Grill and firepot. Inspected firepot and no corrosion, looked great.
3. Replaced hotrod
4. Replaced temp sensor

Fans appear to be working fine, auger is turning. The only thing I can think of is the controller (the only thing left - definitely the most expensive option to replace)? Any ideas?

Please explain in a little more detail what you mean by your title.

Please explain in a little more detail what you mean by your title.
Sorry - starting grill on "smoke" with grill open, the grill lights and smokes. I turn grill up to 325 for burgers - grill gets up to temp, then loses heat. Not sure if it is just burning out but fire pot is out when I open it up.

Sorry - starting grill on "smoke" with grill open, the grill lights and smokes. I turn grill up to 325 for burgers - grill gets up to temp, then loses heat. Not sure if it is just burning out but fire pot is out when I open it up.
Fire pot is empty when I open it (appears to have burned all pellets)

Well, as far as I can tell it's almost like you need to try the controller... does Traeger even have yours anymore???

I would ask why are you starting it with the lid open, but maybe you've been doing this for 7 years with no problems??

Did some older models require lid open starts???

Well, as far as I can tell it's almost like you need to try the controller... does Traeger even have yours anymore???

I would ask why are you starting it with the lid open, but maybe you've been doing this for 7 years with no problems??

Did some older models require lid open starts???
Just open until it lights - then I close it.

Yes, older units were started up with the lid open until the fire starts up.

Loss of fire with the pot empty sounds like the auger stopped and the fuel burned up. Why it stopped is the question.. The controller switches the auger On and Off in intervals, the duty cycle feeds more or less fuel as needed to maintain temp. So either the controller isn't correctly switching the auger on/off, or the auger is not properly running when powered on.

Back