Grill grates and griddle cooking

PEllis04

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Pending
Howdy

I'm running the Ironwood XL and it's great. I do have the reversible grill grates I bought later from Grill Grate. I know they're better with direct fire so I was wondering. If i wanted to grill using those, chicken, smash burgers, etc.

Has anyone removed the heat diverter first before using them? Would an unobstructed firepot have a better result?

I know that the Pit Boss grills have a moveable cover over the firepot that is supposed to allow direct heat for grilling/searing. I have not tried it on my Ironwood.

Personally, I do not like the concept of removing the drip tray and flame shield. Any grease dripping from the cook will end up either in the fire pot or in the bottom of the grill where it can make a mess and potentially cause a grease fire if not cleaned properly after the cook. To me, that is too much hassle.

If you are willing to clean your grill after the cook, it should not be a problem. Just do not try it with the grill cover closed in case there is a grease fire.

I know that the Pit Boss grills have a moveable cover over the firepot that is supposed to allow direct heat for grilling/searing. I have not tried it on my Ironwood.

Personally, I do not like the concept of removing the drip tray and flame shield. Any grease dripping from the cook will end up either in the fire pot or in the bottom of the grill where it can make a mess and potentially cause a grease fire if not cleaned properly after the cook. To me, that is too much hassle.

If you are willing to clean your grill after the cook, it should not be a problem. Just do not try it with the grill cover closed in case there is a grease fire.
Ended up just doing it normally. Turned grill grates over and made them flat as a griddle and moved them to the left which was warmer. Did smash burgers on it.

Wife said they were the best burgers I ever made.

Ended up just doing it normally. Turned grill grates over and made them flat as a griddle and moved them to the left which was warmer. Did smash burgers on it.

Wife said they were the best burgers I ever made.
Compliments from the wife are a great thing. Congratulations.

Back