Giving the Direct Ignitor controller another go.

Sodaking27

Grill Master of the Month
Media
Reaction score
Grill
BBQ070, BBQ075, BBQ155, IronWood 650, Ranger
I tried one of these controllers about a year ago and ended up returning it. After seeing some positive reviews I decided to give it another shot. I’m still in the testing stage and so far have been pleased with this one. They have corrected some of the issues with the app. It still has needs for improvements. It’s good enough if you need to run to the store etc and want to keep an eye out. I haven’t done any long low and slow cooks yet. I smoked a couple of turkey tenderloins today rubbed with Traeger’s Chicken Rub. It performed well staying +/- 5 degrees. The meet probs are with in 2 degrees of my other thermometers. I will continue to test and post the results.
436578FB-A898-4B5F-A7FB-9E6486BAF9BD.jpeg

C84049DF-FD0F-47F2-B685-EF64CBED3EF2.jpeg

Sodaking27,​

It's been a few months since you started using the Direct Ignitor PID. I'm also curious about the Pellet Pro Patriot by Smoke Daddy. Has either one of these passed your temperature regulation testing?

I have upgraded recently to a Traeger Digital Pro clone that clearly needs some P button tuning. The stock behavior of delivering fuel when the grill is 70 degrees above setpoint was so disappointing. I haven't tuned the controller yet, but if there isn't a better alternative, then I will go ahead and see if I can tame it with the P switch.

It motivated me to search for something that works out-of-the-box, set-and-forget every time, even in Phoenix summers. It seems we are on the same quest.

Sodaking27,​

It's been a few months since you started using the Direct Ignitor PID. I'm also curious about the Pellet Pro Patriot by Smoke Daddy. Has either one of these passed your temperature regulation testing?

I have upgraded recently to a Traeger Digital Pro clone that clearly needs some P button tuning. The stock behavior of delivering fuel when the grill is 70 degrees above setpoint was so disappointing. I haven't tuned the controller yet, but if there isn't a better alternative, then I will go ahead and see if I can tame it with the P switch.

It motivated me to search for something that works out-of-the-box, set-and-forget every time, even in Phoenix summers. It seems we are on the same quest.
The trend in pellet cooking these days is against tightly controlled temperatures and towards fluctuating mean temperatures. People have realized that tightly controlled and efficient burning pellet fires produce a more benign flavor profile. That’s not terrible for some people, but many people have complained for years about lack of smoke flavor and the PID is partially to blame for that. Just some fat to chew on if you are programming a controller. Lots of ways to skin the cat, I thought I’d just offer what I’ve heard about for the last couple years in the industry

Sodaking27,​

After several months of testing, I‘be been really pleased with the controller. Great smoke output at temps below 250. The app is very basic, but works and you can control your grill from anywhere. Maintains temperature very well +/- 5 degrees. I purchased one of the Pellet Pro Patriot controllers and was very dissatisfied. You can only remote control from your local network. Nothing through the internet. Very poor smoke output. I highly recommend the controller from Direct Ignitor with WiFi. I have a Ironwood 650 with the Traeger Pid and the DI controller works as well as the Traeger.

Back