Help! First time using my Pro 575

MWahl

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
Hi all;
Just looking for advice. I just bought and put together my Pro 575 and after seasoning it tried it out today on one of the Traeger app recipes for reverse seared rib eyes. Bought two 1 1/2” thick ribeyes, rubbed them with some steak spice and put them on the grill at 225 for 1 hour. An hour and a half later the internal temp was still way low and they were starting to look like jerky. Left them at 225 until the internal temp started to get where I wanted, then pulled them off, cranked it to 500 and seared both sides. I thought mine was good but my wife said hers was dry and chewey ( she likes them well done - no pink) and I like mine medium well. What can I do differently next time?

What was the internal temperature after an hour at 225?

That's pretty much how I cook my steaks on the Traeger. 225 until IT is around 120, crank up the grill (or use the Weber gas) and sear a few mins on each side. My wife also likes her a little more done so I'll sear hers a little extra.

Were you using the Traeger probe to monitor IT and pit temp? That could have been your problem. The Traeger probes are notorious for inaccuracy and many here use an external thermometer like the Fireboard 2, Inkbird BBQ, Thermoworks, etc.

At the very least, invest in a good instant read thermometer. The Thermoworks MK4 is the gold standard and they are just about always on sale on their web site.

The Traeger thermocouple is notoriously inaccurate, mine reads 20 to 30 degrees higher than actual temp. That is probably why your meat took so long to cook. You'll have to read your temps some other way. I have a Fireboard and have no complaints about it but there are other options out there.

That's pretty much how I cook my steaks on the Traeger. 225 until IT is around 120, crank up the grill (or use the Weber gas) and sear a few mins on each side. My wife also likes her a little more done so I'll sear hers a little extra.

Were you using the Traeger probe to monitor IT and pit temp? That could have been your problem. The Traeger probes are notorious for inaccuracy and many here use an external thermometer like the Fireboard 2, Inkbird BBQ, Thermoworks, etc.

At the very least, invest in a good instant read thermometer. The Thermoworks MK4 is the gold standard and they are just about always on sale on their web site.
Thanks Murph;
Was using a weber instant read thermometer it was about 118 after an hour at 225. I had the ribeyes out for hours to get them to room temp, but guess I was a little quick on the draw to show them on the grill. My son-in-law says he marinates his all the time, but why ruin such a flavourful cut of meat? I thought mine tasted fine.

Hi all;
Just looking for advice. I just bought and put together my Pro 575 and after seasoning it tried it out today on one of the Traeger app recipes for reverse seared rib eyes. Bought two 1 1/2” thick ribeyes, rubbed them with some steak spice and put them on the grill at 225 for 1 hour. An hour and a half later the internal temp was still way low and they were starting to look like jerky. Left them at 225 until the internal temp started to get where I wanted, then pulled them off, cranked it to 500 and seared both sides. I thought mine was good but my wife said hers was dry and chewey ( she likes them well done - no pink) and I like mine medium well. What can I do differently next time?
I too have a 575. I love it. I do steaks too. I lived in Argentina for 8 years and if I learned anything, it was the art of cooking steaks or beef of any kind! I learn the hard way the how to’s on a pellet grill, however. First, the only thing I ever put on my steaks is a dusting of rock salt and leave them out at room temp for 30 minutes before grilling. I st my Traeger to 400 degrees. If I was in Argentina I’d be using a Parilla with small pebbles of hot coals 5” below the grill surface. It would be a slower cook. But, at 400 in a Traeger it will be faster, but cooked med rare, it is ooh so tastey.

I have a Weber Genesis II also.
I was cooking some chicken wings with it, hoping that they come out with a crispy skin but instead I burned the skin.
It is hard to have any control of the Weber due to flare ups right.
I am trying to keep the temp at 350F using my FB but the flare ups got me.
Have you tried this?
Puertex

I have a Weber Genesis II also.
I was cooking some chicken wings with it, hoping that they come out with a crispy skin but instead I burned the skin.
It is hard to have any control of the Weber due to flare ups right.
I am trying to keep the temp at 350F using my FB but the flare ups got me.
Have you tried this?
Puertex

i haven't had much of an issue with flareups when I cooked wings on the Weber, for some reason (and my Weber sure likes to flare up!). One tip for a crispy skin: baking powder! I put about a tablespoon of baking powder, some salt pepper and other spices and mix it up. It seems to help get a nice, crispy skin every time!

Be careful to not use too much baking powder, though. You don't want a breading...just a very light covering. I also try to keep the temp around 250 for about 30 mins and then crank it to 400 or 425 for about 40 or 50 mins.

I am getting hungry for wings just typing this!

Back