Fire in the hopper

candrews1021

Reaction score
Grill
ranger
Have a ranger grill. I was smoking ribs and came out in the 4th hour to find the temp at 155 (should have been 225) and smoking from the hopper box. Turned it off and found that the fire had gone from the firebox box back to the hopper.

I emptied the pellets and could see that there where pellets burning in the hopper. I have no idea if the grill is going to work again once I refill and test it.

Any suggestions?

Gonna have to explain further how that’s even possible. Are you saying the fire went out in the pot and burned back through the packed auger and into the hopper? Was the auger moving? What kind of pellets were you using? No fire in the pot? Lots of questions here.

Gonna have to explain further how that’s even possible. Are you saying the fire went out in the pot and burned back through the packed auger and into the hopper? Was the auger moving? What kind of pellets were you using? No fire in the pot? Lots of questions here.
Yes, it went from the pot back thru to the bottom of the hopper. The pellets were from traeger. Smoke was billowing out of the hopper door. I would think the auger was moving as it sounded so. After I turned it off the fire continued until I turned the ranger on its side and removed the remaining pellets. This is when I discovered burning pellets at the bottom of the hopper. I had turned it off so no fire in the pot.

Well, they are known to catch fire.
Doesn't sound like this is what is described. The link is for potential greases fire. He's saying he had a burn back issue while the thing was burning pellets in the pot. Sounds real strange. I guess maybe there could have been grease that started the auger on fire, but the auger is in the pot and its real hard to imagine it burning back into the packed auger when at some point there's little or no air flow to fuel the fire. Especially if the auger is dispensing the pellets. Wonder if the auger failed? I'd definitely contact Traeger.

Back