Fire every time when finishing off

trevpipes

Media
Reaction score
Grill
silverton 620 & Camp chef se/24 w/ sear box, Traeger 22 w/ hillbilly sear station
Hi Guys, I grill and smoke at a few different locations, and one of my grilling stations does not have the capability to sear. Hard to look at a prime rib that is just about done, but knowing you can't finish the damn thing off perfect because there is nothing to get hot enough to reverse sear it. So frustrating that a few times at this particular station I have turned the traeger up to 500 at the very end of the cook to get a half-ass sear with mixed results. Almost every time I did this, I came back to the traeger on fire with several grease fires under the tin foil, which was melted away and a big fire below the drip tray. I have realized in mine that this industrial tinfoil that I use as a pan liner will not stand up to the high temps too. A few days ago I did it, and I knew it may be on fire in 10 mins. All I was going to do was turn it to 500 at the end, and come back in 10 minutes and turn it off. I decided to check it in 5 mins, same story, fires under tin foil, under drip pan, thus ending my sear. I think the fires are because the increased heat may be squeezing alot of the fat and grease out at once causing more favorable conditions for flare ups. I don't want to buy another sear station, I have many, anyone have any suggestions ?
It is a traeger 620 that is doing this.

I would look at grill grates. I was missing that sear too and once I bought these it's been awesome and if there are any flare-ups it doesn't really affect your meat. They also have precut fits depending on which Traeger you have.

Reactions: Rex
I would look at grill grates. I was missing that sear too and once I bought these it's been awesome and if there are any flare-ups it doesn't really affect your meat. They also have precut fits depending on which Traeger you have.

I picked up 2 grill grates to test out during their recent "scratch and dent" sale, and have to say I've been impressed with the results. I've been reluctant to push my Traegar past 450 due to some of the advice I've read, and at that temp the grates do a solid searing job.

I used to use the GrillGrates on the Traeger and found moving them to my old gasser works even better as there is no lag between the smoke bath and the sear. On the plus side, I'm no longer pushing my Traeger for high temps which is saving pellets.

Excellent Idea, I will definitely look at those tonight, thanks Zach. And you are right the flare ups aren't that big of a deal, I mean your searing it anyway, right ? what does bother me is how the tin foil gets vaporized and prob some put into the beef too this way. I am not going to line the tray anymore with tin foil if grilling over 350, tired of wondering where my tinfoil vaporized to, ...probably to the bark on my rib roast !!

Hi Guys, I grill and smoke at a few different locations, and one of my grilling stations does not have the capability to sear. Hard to look at a prime rib that is just about done, but knowing you can't finish the damn thing off perfect because there is nothing to get hot enough to reverse sear it. So frustrating that a few times at this particular station I have turned the traeger up to 500 at the very end of the cook to get a half-ass sear with mixed results. Almost every time I did this, I came back to the traeger on fire with several grease fires under the tin foil, which was melted away and a big fire below the drip tray. I have realized in mine that this industrial tinfoil that I use as a pan liner will not stand up to the high temps too. A few days ago I did it, and I knew it may be on fire in 10 mins. All I was going to do was turn it to 500 at the end, and come back in 10 minutes and turn it off. I decided to check it in 5 mins, same story, fires under tin foil, under drip pan, thus ending my sear. I think the fires are because the increased heat may be squeezing alot of the fat and grease out at once causing more favorable conditions for flare ups. I don't want to buy another sear station, I have many, anyone have any suggestions ?
It is a traeger 620 that is doing this.
I have the GG on my Timerbline 1300 - I got their standard kit which was 3 grates, but added a fourth. The only issue I've had so far with the higher temps is understandably burning through pellets more quickly. Those higher temps do tend so sear the foil, but I've had pretty good luck with the Traeger liner trays, though they aren't cheap. Somewhat related, I also picked up a 12" smoke tube so that I could still generate some at the higher temps :) !!!

I've been slowly dialing down the heat when using GrillGrates to where I still get good grill marks without melting the foil below. I had added a baffle under the drip pan which stopped the melting, until, I added the 4 panels of GrillGrates.

I am trying an experiment for the next cook, I have a piece of 304 stainless mesh coming. I'm wondering if having the mesh under the foil will possibly save it, worth a try.

I was using GG on my T1300 but at 450- 500 Degrees there is not much Smoking going on.. Now I use the lid from the Jim Beam Cast Iron Pan (JB Pan) on the Gas Stove in the Kitchen and it does a great job and saves stress on the Traeger (and Yes fewer Pellets')...

Latest Discussions

Back