FIRE BOX OVERFLOWING WITH PELLETS

Storminn58

Reaction score
Grill
TFB29LZB
I was smoking a 6lb Pork shoulder last weekend. 5 hrs in, the temp on the meat started going down. I checked the smoker and it was cold. I took out the meat and the grill and tray. The pellets were overflowing the fire box.
I did the shut down. Cleaned out the hopper and auger tube. Started it up again on smoke. Smoked with no problem. Set it to 225. After a few minutes the temp went to over 400. I did the shut down again and it has sat there since.
Any ideas? The unit is just over 3 years old

I was smoking a 6lb Pork shoulder last weekend. 5 hrs in, the temp on the meat started going down. I checked the smoker and it was cold. I took out the meat and the grill and tray. The pellets were overflowing the fire box.
I did the shut down. Cleaned out the hopper and auger tube. Started it up again on smoke. Smoked with no problem. Set it to 225. After a few minutes the temp went to over 400. I did the shut down again and it has sat there since.
I'd double check the air supply, the fan, air passages, fire pot. Be sure that the firepot holes are all clear and that it's not rusted out, one guy found a big hole.

I'd double check the air supply, the fan, air passages, fire pot. Be sure that the firepot holes are all clear and that it's not rusted out, one guy found a big hole.
I just took it all apart today cleaned everything and clean the firebox. The fan is working properly the holes And no rust smoked no problem and temp did spike put it on 225 it jumped to 485 within 15 minutes and then seem to go back down to normal temperature then spiked again to 485 with a flamethrower in the firebox

Attachments

• IMG_9184.MOV
    18.4 MB
I just took it all apart today cleaned everything and clean the firebox. The fan is working properly the holes And no rust smoked no problem and temp did spike put it on 225 it jumped to 485 within 15 minutes and then seem to go back down to normal temperature then spiked again to 485 with a flamethrower in the firebox
That is a normal fire. The grill's are designed to run with the fire covered by the primary cover and the drip pan. The fan blows hard on the fire and also circulates the air in the barrel, like a convection oven. This helps moderate the temp spikes.

Also, they seem to like shade on hot days to also help with regulation.

That is a normal fire. The grill's are designed to run with the fire covered by the primary cover and the drip pan. The fan blows hard on the fire and also circulates the air in the barrel, like a convection oven. This helps moderate the temp spikes.

Also, they seem to like shade on hot days to also help with regulation.
Typically it is in the shade in the backyard. I took it out front to see if I could get it to overflow the firebox again and go out. I left the drip pan out to watch the firebox.
Ok next weekend I will give it another try.

It's three variables, air, fuel quality, fuel availability.

If the air is good, then it lost fuel, either by way of auger issue, jam etc. or quality.

I've had this happen at low heat, long smoke, I opened the door for too long while wrapping. The controller idled down the fuel too much, the fire died out, the controller tried to increase heat, keeps pumping pellets in to the pot.

In my case I initiated a restart and then had a huge fire. I opened the hood and quickly knocked it down with a water sprayer to prevent over temp and paint damage. Cleared the pot and auger, restarted OK.

It's not a perfect system.

Could be the rtd isn’t reading correctly. It is the cheapest part to replace.

Latest Discussions

Back