Fact or BS???

midwest

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Traeger 780
I don't even know where I saw it but I was watching one of the more famous you tube channels the other day. The guy said you can place foil over your drip trap but it should not overlap over the edges of the drip pan because the foil will then catch some of the air flow moving upwards and have a negative impact on temps/cook times. I had never thought about this, and didn't know if it is a thing, or just some guy who over analysis stuff, kind of like the guy who told me he can tell a difference in the taste of his meat if he doesn't sweep out the pellets from the auger when he switches pellets...

Depending on how much it overlaps, it could block or impede airflow in certain areas of the grill. The grills have airflow designed into them to provide what the manufacturer thinks is the best for that particular grill, which includes ambient probe placement.
I wrap mine on the Traeger and the Yoder, but I have always made sure there isn't any excess hanging over. If there is, just make sure it is tightly wrapped around the tray and not left hanging to block any air. On the Yoder, they specifically mention the use of foil and caution against it because if it hangs over, it could impede airflow. The drip tray on that grill leaves very little room along the front and back of the grill, so I could see how it may cause issues there. But the large roll Costco sells is the exact width of the drip plate, so it is just a matter of cutting to length and wrapping the two ends. I do the same on the Traeger. When I got the Traeger, they sent me the wrong drip trays. When they finally sent me the right ones, I was already used to using the foil, and never opened them.
But I always made sure nothing was left hanging over. It was always wrapped and pressed up tight against the back of the pan with as little as possible to ensure it wasn't hanging down underneath
If someone is having problems maintaining temps or reaching temps or possibly eratic fluctuations and is using foil wrap on the drip tray, it would be prudent to remove the foil and test the grill again to see if the foil may have been affecting air movement

Never had a problem covering the drip tray with foil. If it is wrapped tightly it conforms to the shape of the tray. Much ado about nothing.
Exactly, some people just lay the foil across and let it hang over, and don't physically wrap the tray. That's where the airflow can be affected

I've heard similar things about foil affecting airflow, but I don't think it's a big deal if you keep it smooth and not covering too much.

Never had a problem covering the drip tray with foil. If it is wrapped tightly it conforms to the shape of the tray. Much ado about nothing.
Exactly, did the same on my 575 Pro and never had an issue.

Got me to thinking about my Gen 2 Ironwood which doesn't use drip tray liners but uses a EZ Clean drip tray which does work well. However as always looking for an easier life got to wondering whether anyone had tried putting foil on these trays "wrapped tightly to conform to the shape of the tray"?

However Traeger advise is: WARNING: These models (i.e. Gen 2 Ironwood and Timberline) conduct heat more than other models, so liners or even foil can be detrimental to grilling success, causing the grill to cook food at a higher temperature than desired.

Doesn't say it is overtly unsafe but think I will give it a miss!

Traeger is trying to sell their preshaped foil liners for the drip tray. They want you purchasing their liners rather than using foil. However, as long as you wrap the foil around the drip tray tightly, you should have no problem with air flow. I suggest using heavy-duty foil rather than the thinner foil.

Traeger is trying to sell their preshaped foil liners for the drip tray. They want you purchasing their liners rather than using foil. However, as long as you wrap the foil around the drip tray tightly, you should have no problem with air flow. I suggest using heavy-duty foil rather than the thinner foil.
And by all means use only Traeger pellets.;)

I suggest using heavy-duty foil rather than the thinner foil.
I always found Costco heavy duty foil as good as any and used that on my 575 Pro in place of the liners, fortunately not an issue on the Gen 2 Timberlines and Ironwoods.

And by all means use only Traeger pellets

Traeger, Bear Mountain, Cookin Pellets, BBQ Delight, Pitt Boss and that is just what is available here in the UK, must be loads more brands and cheaper too in the US. All work well. 👍

Exactly, did the same on my 575 Pro and never had an issue.

Got me to thinking about my Gen 2 Ironwood which doesn't use drip tray liners but uses a EZ Clean drip tray which does work well. However as always looking for an easier life got to wondering whether anyone had tried putting foil on these trays "wrapped tightly to conform to the shape of the tray"?

However Traeger advise is: WARNING: These models (i.e. Gen 2 Ironwood and Timberline) conduct heat more than other models, so liners or even foil can be detrimental to grilling success, causing the grill to cook food at a higher temperature than desired.

Doesn't say it is overtly unsafe but think I will give it a miss!
That warning does t make sense. A good third party thermometer like Ink Bird or FireBoard can indicate a more accurate temperature so even if a liner or foil causes higher temperatures the D2 controller could be adjusted to a lower value.

I use Reynolds 624 heavy duty. It is a must to only put the foil on the top side of drip tray and barely 1/2 inch wrap around at each end where the tray ends sit in the support track of the grill. The heat from the fire pot will destroy exposed foil on the under side of the drip tray. It smells awful when it does that.

Attachments

• 20240729_170122.jpg
    20240729_170122.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 7
Nothing I hate worse than when my wife messes up and doesn't buy the heavy duty foil....

Back