Pellets Char Hickory vs Hickory

Hogan

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 22 (factory cover, welder's blanket for winter cooks), Weber Genesis, Thermoworks ChefAlarm, ThermoPro wireless Dual Probe
I'm running out of Traeger Hickory pellets, so bought a bag of Lumberjack Char Hickory. The universal condemnation of Traeger-brand pellets (and my own disappointment with them) has me looking to other brands, e.g. Lumberjack. Has anyone had experience with Char Hickory pellets; what is the difference in smoke fragrance from Hickory?

I buy hickory 50% of what ever I buy... I'm addicted to hickory but I've never tried an "char" anything...
I'm still waiting for my OKJoes to make it down the hopper and start being used. I stopped using anything Traeger years ago.

IMHO LumberJack pellets are excellent. While I have tried a number of pellet types from LJ, they have all been 100% pure wood. That is one reason I like LumberJack.

I have not tried their Char Hickory. The blend is supposed to contain hickory, oak and charcoal. The flavor profile is going to depend upon the exact mix, which is not specifically noted on the LumberJack web site.

I did try the PitBoss Charcoal Blend pellets and did not like the flavor of the meat. I used them for smoking a beef roast. The meat was bitter and I could not eat it. Rather than discarding the meat, I chopped up the roast and used it to produce a beef stew. I could still taste the bitterness in the stew, but it was tolerable.

Every now and then, I toss a hand full of the charcoal blend pellets into the hopper along with other pellets.

Whether or not the charcoal blend pellets work well for you will depend upon the temperature of the cook and the length of the cook. I would check them out on something like hamburgers first to see if you like the flavor. If you use it on a lengthy cook like brisket, the flavor might be overpowering.

Back