Butcher Shop vs. Supermarket

Big Man Dan

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
I was recently told by someone I would normally Trust that butcher shop meat is no better in quality than Supermarket meat. That doesn't make sense to me so I thought I'd reach out to some of you more experienced Cooks to get your opinion.

Really depends what stores you have in your area. The smaller butcher shops sometimes carry grades of meat (prime or wagyu, for example) that a bigger chain supermarket might not. The smaller shops also do a better job of actually “butchering” the meat in my opinion.

Depends. Some grocery stores are phenomenal others Meh. I like being able to go in and have steaks cut to the thickness I want. I’m 2” thick kinda guy. I like rare / med rare beef. Also as stated above it depends on their suppliers. There are butcher shops in our area that butcher local beef that is a known commodity. You know the breed, how it was raised, who raised it and so on. Your not likely getting that from a grocery store. That’s not to say that there’s not great product at many grocery store chains because there is.

Way to many variables to this. it's like saying the jeans you buy on line are better than the jeans you buy at the mall. You could be comparing a shop selling a $700.00 Wagyu Prime rib to a Walmart. You could also be comparing a crappy little butcher shop with a higher end grocery store who actually knows what they are doing.

Smaller butcher shops are all over the place. I’ve been to many where quality is top notch and the prices reflects that. I’ve also been to smaller places like J&C Produce in Arcadia, FL where ribeyes are $5.99/lb and there’s NO marble at all. They have mountains of crap quality meat for dirt cheap.

I find the best place to get quality is Costco, and sometimes I’ll buy at Publix but they rarely have 2” thick steaks there. I’ve recently got very lucky at Walmart with 2” thick tomahawks for $11.97/lb with a good marble.

Walmart tomahawks. Great for the price.

Attachments

• 51F3DE47-6279-4578-B89B-5C8E27A5EE1A.jpeg
    51F3DE47-6279-4578-B89B-5C8E27A5EE1A.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 46
I'm fortunate to have an H-E-B near me. Their butcher section is awesome for fresh meat & seafood, much of it acquired locally in Texas.

I'm fortunate to have an H-E-B near me. Their butcher section is awesome for fresh meat & seafood, much of it acquired locally in Texas.
Next you will be telling us there's a Buc-ee's near you too....🤣😉😁
Damn you Texas. LOL

Here in the Toronto and surrounding area the supermarkets are OK and good for everyday dinners but to make my eyes roll back in my head in pleasure I go to a butcher who also sells to restaurants but its pricey and we usually only eat his meat once every 2 weeks as a treat. Its the old saying, you get what you pay for and word of mouth wins the day.

Every time I go to a smaller butcher only shop, I see lots of meat that has been sitting around and not looking too good.
Bought a competition brisket for way too much $'s at one, and it was poor tasting in the end.
Instead, I buy meat at either Whole Foods or Costco where there is frequent turnover and so the meat is as fresh as can be, and even though theoretically it's Choice quality, vs Prime, it's still turning out good.

So I've given up on the small butcher shops, sadly. I liked the idea. They just need WAY more customers turning over the meat and fish in the counters.

Next you will be telling us there's a Buc-ee's near you too....🤣😉😁
Damn you Texas. LOL

I have a Buc-ee's near me in Florida. Really cool store. No H-E-B here though.

I've also been pretty happy with the Super Walmart near me. I actually prefer their steaks and chicken to what Publix has.

Also just placed my first order with Snake River Farms :cool:

Last edited:
I have a Buc-ee's near me in Florida. Really cool store. No H-E-B here though.

Rusty is always triggered by my H-E-B posts (which are intentional :ROFLMAO: ) in good jest. I do pity him in that way, but then again am jealous of him living on a sweet island in the Pacific NorthWest with a new Yoder!

Rusty is always triggered by my H-E-B posts (which are intentional :ROFLMAO: ) in good jest. I do pity him in that way, but then again am jealous of him living on a sweet island in the Pacific NorthWest with a new Yoder!
When you find me living in your outdoor kitchen one day, we can go on a road trip to H-E-B and Buc-ee's.

Back