Brisket Rest Advice needed Please

Newtra

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
So I've had a brisket (15lb packer) going since yesterday. It's almost at 203 as of now (0740 Hours) I have to leave the house for a few hours. It's in butcher paper now.. My plan is to pull, wrap in a towel, and put in the Yeti.

1-if the butcher paper is soggy, should I wrap in fresh butcher paper?

2-should I put it in the cooler immediately after coming off the Traeger, or rest it a bit at room temperature first?

3-rest time.. How long is too long? I might be out of the house for 6-7 hours, is that too long of a rest period?

Thanks guys.

<John>

If you have aluminum foil, wrap the brisket in foil to seal in the moisture. If the moisture evaporates, the meat will cool.

Wrap the package in a large towel or blanket to retain heat. Then put it in your Yeti. That should keep it hot for several hours.

The aim is to keep the temperature above 140 F so bacteria cannot grow. However, if you have not exposed the brisket to air, there should be no bacteria alive to grow anyway.

I agree with @RayClem. I wrap in foil and then towels before placing in the cooler. To answer your other question: should yet let it cool a little before placing in the cooler? You have to go by feel. If you think the brisket is done to perfection, then you may want to let it cool a little so it does not become overcooked. If not, it can go directly in the cooler. I usually pull it before it reaches 203 degrees so that it can continue the carry over cooking in the cooler and become done perfectly.

Also, how long it stays in the cooler depends on when dinner is being served!

I agree with @RayClem. I wrap in foil and then towels before placing in the cooler. To answer your other question: should yet let it cool a little before placing in the cooler? You have to go by feel. If you think the brisket is done to perfection, then you may want to let it cool a little so it does not become overcooked. If not, it can go directly in the cooler. I usually pull it before it reaches 203 degrees so that it can continue the carry over cooking in the cooler and become done perfectly.

Also, how long it stays in the cooler depends on when dinner is being served!
Thanks for mentioning that. I pulled it at 203.. The point is probing super tender, but the flat isn't. I panicked and wrapped it in foil, and put it back on the smoker. Going to let it go another hour, and put directly into the cooler.. Maybe the carry over cooking will get the flat a bit more tender? I plan on a 5 hour cooler rest.

<John>

Back