Big temp drop

rlawsonadams

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 34
I was grilling some ribs with my Pro 34 set to 250°. I go out to check again and it had dropped to 135°!!! Fan was blowing. What could have happened? I turned it off and restarted and it started firing again. Right now I’m concerned.

It sounds like you might have had a flameout. That is far more likely to occur at lower temperatures than at 250F unless the pellet hopper went empty in the area above the auger.

Be careful reigniting a grill that has had a flameout. If there are an excessive number of pellets in the burn pot, it is possible to get an explosion of hot gases. I am glad that did not happen in your case.

You might want to pick up a spare hot rod in case yours if going bad. Just make sure you get the right size for your grill.

Hopper was full. This was my first cook on it, so my confidence in the grill has been shaken. 😂

I can understand your concern.

You might want to get yourself a 3rd party digital temperature probe. I use one with four probes. One of the probes dis mounted on the rack near my cook to measure the cooking temperature. That is more accurate than the Traeger controller temperature.

One or more of the other probes can go into your proteins to monitor internal temperature.

For you cook temperature, set high/low alarms that will alert you if the temperature drops. For example if you are cooking at 225F, the temperature should stay between 175- 275F. If you open the lid to check the cook, the temperature might drop enough to set off the alarm, but it should recover.

If you are an Amazon Prime member, Prime Days are Oct. 11-12. You might just find some good sales on remote thermometers. While you are at it, check out deals on instant read thermometers. Look for one that reads in no more than 2-3 seconds.

Latest Discussions

Back