Beer Can Chicken timing

billz

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
We've got a six pound chicken going tonite on the Traeger. It'll be a beer can chicken, but All the recipes that I have found are built around 3-4 pounders, and it always takes a significant longer time to cook the bigger birds. While I wont pull it until it hits 165, It has been messing with the dinner timing when cooking them. Any rough ideas as to how long this should cook at 360 degrees?

did you put cold liquid in your beer can???

WARM BEER??? Thats Un-American!!!

So I think i figured it out. In the past my 5 pounders (with COLD beer) have taken 90-100 minutes at 350, and fortunately I have been tracking and logging what i did with them in Excel. So I am going to try two changes to my recipe...
Smoke the bird at 180 degrees for 30 minutes, which will theoretically give a smokey flavor and also warm up the beer.
Then cook at 350 until I hit 160 on the Chicken. I am budgeting 90 minutes for that cook, but I will have room on the backside if it takes longer.

So I think i figured it out. In the past my 5 pounders (with COLD beer) have taken 90-100 minutes at 350, and fortunately I have been tracking and logging what i did with them in Excel. So I am going to try two changes to my recipe...
Smoke the bird at 180 degrees for 30 minutes, which will theoretically give a smokey flavor and also warm up the beer.
Then cook at 350 until I hit 160 on the Chicken. I am budgeting 90 minutes for that cook, but I will have room on the backside if it takes longer.
SWMBO, is Welsh…..

Yeah in America only cold beer is shoved up a chickens ass lol

I have been tracking and logging what i did with them in Excel.

So then why did you ask us??? common Bill!!! WT..... just kiddin billy boy

I did the traeger chicken recipe and follow the steps, it took 1 h 15 minutes. I was curious and it got the bird done. But imo it was a bit dry. I get hot water from the tap instead of cold beer. Not wasting beer on no bird.

OK, I'm busted!!!

FWIW, the chicken turned out great, with a 30 minute smoke and 90 minute cook! Used COLD beer, too!

I have to admit, i have poured 4 oz of cold, sierra nevada pale ale into a pyrex measuring cup, given it 45 seconds in the microwave and then used it in my "beer can roaster".

The remaining 8oz belongs to the cook :D

Back