Back Vents vs Smoke Stack

CMTiger

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Traeger Pro 575 / Weber Genesis / Weber 28” Griddle / Orion Cooker
So.....I'm a Traeger newbie.....like Memorial Day was my first cook newbie. I received the Pro575 as a work gift. It has a smoke stack......the Ironwood my brother has does not.

So I went down the rabbit hole of looking into why. Well.....the vented models seem to come with a "super smoke" option I don't have and the internet says that the smoke rise out of the stack quicker, causing less smokey flavor. Is there some sort of work around here or is the Pro just by design going to produce less smoke than it's back vented brethren?

Inexpensive way to add smoke is with a smoke tube.
i just looked these up and it would appear to "solve" the "problem".......I'm not sure exactly how to go about using them though. Just fill with pellets and light?

So.....I'm a Traeger newbie.....like Memorial Day was my first cook newbie. I received the Pro575 as a work gift. It has a smoke stack......the Ironwood my brother has does not.

So I went down the rabbit hole of looking into why. Well.....the vented models seem to come with a "super smoke" option I don't have and the internet says that the smoke rise out of the stack quicker, causing less smokey flavor. Is there some sort of work around here or is the Pro just by design going to produce less smoke than it's back vented brethren?
Add a smoke tube and/or do your smoking at temps below 225. At set temps above 225-250, the Traeger burns very efficiently and produces much less smoke.

i just looked these up and it would appear to "solve" the "problem".......I'm not sure exactly how to go about using them though. Just fill with pellets and light?
Pretty much. You fill them with pellets/chips, light it and let the fire take hold for a few minutes, and then blow the flame out. Some people on here have said that they get better results if the open end is elevated, but I haven't tried that yet.

I prop the open end of the smoke tube on the upper grill rail and let it rest at an angle on the lower grill. Makes great smoke and doesn't extinguish.

Back