Anyone know what this is?

lenolaroad

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650/Masterbuilt Pro/Weber Genesis/Weber 22"
5FEF7E3A-49C3-417B-9324-9DAF4C1FAF98.jpeg

Does anyone know where this piece of cartilage sits in the pork shoulder? I’ve searched all around the bone area when it’s pulled and can’t ever find it until I’m pulling the meat. The shape is usually similar to this, sometimes more rounded, but I don’t find it every time I pull a shoulder and don’t want it to end up in someone’s mouth. TIA for any help or insight.

How hot do you cook your pork shoulder?

Allow the temperature to rise over 200F (often 203 F is seen as a suitable setpoint). Above 200F, the fat, collagen and cartilage break down fully such that you do not have to worry about someone getting a bite of grizzle.

If you cook to a lower temperature (140F minimum ), the pork can be safe to eat, but some of the undesirable tissues will need to be removed manually.

Thank you for the reply. I cooked it at 225 to 170IT, then panned it with honey, butter, brown sugar, and a little rub, covered in foil to 203-208, twelve hour cook and a three hour rest. After posting I wondered if this bit separates in the 205-208 range but doesn’t in the 199-203 range which may explain why I find it sometimes and not others. I may pull my next shoulder a little earlier to see if it’s still attached to the bone. Thanks again for your help.

When you are cooking a bone-in pork shoulder, the meat closest to the bone is likely to be at slightly lower temperature than the rest of the butt. If this piece of meat and connective tissue is close to the bone, you might need a few degrees higher temperature to render it completely.

Great tip. Thank you again.

Learned it is definitively cartilege. It doesn’t render. I’m wondering if it stays on the bone sometimes and separates when a shoulder is in the mid 200’s when pulled. Just want to make sure it doesn’t end up on anyones plate
8993E477-641D-41B6-9097-E1583A7CAD90.jpeg

I remember growing up here in SC as a kid my Uncles would say every part of a pig is edible from snout to its curly tail. They would say if you can’t chew it you can boil the flavor out of it, lol. I also remember how messy it was every fall and spring when they all butchered many many hog’s too.

Back