Angle of drip tray on Ironwood 885

Old Pirate

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
I am coming from gas and a big Steel Keg background so forgive my initial questions. A retailer assembled my grill and when I brought it home the drip guard sat nearly flat. After a couple of cooks, I chose to clean the grill and found a small amount on grease had gone the other way opposite of the bucket. After watching a couple of videos on assembly I saw that the drip tray should sit in the grease line on the left and on the small shelf on the right. I did that, and the drip pan is now tilting from right to left, which makes sense, but visualizing it looks like the angle is at least 15%. Should it be that much, and will it cause the left side of the grill where the drip pan is lower to be hotter than the right since that end will be closer to the heat source?

I spent an hour trying to find this type of question across the web and didn't find one that specifically addresses the angle of pitch for the drip pan. Thanks in advance for your reply.

I have a 650 and the drip tray is definitely angled. I don't know if it's 15%, but it's steep enough for liquids to get where they need to go. Can you post a picture? The right side of the tray has 2 little notches that should almost lock into place with the grill. If those aren't pushed down all the way, you might end up with a more aggressive angle.

The larger grills (885 vs 650 or 780 vs 575) are known for having a larger temp discrepancy from one side to the other. But I don't think the drip tray is causing it. Most likely the location of the temp probe and the way the fan circulates. Similar to larger house and the temp discrepancy in rooms vs. the room the thermostat is in. As long as the grates are level, you should be good to go.

Not sure if this helps, but here is what my 885 looks like:

IMG_1586.jpg

IMG_1587.jpg

IMG_1588.jpg

Thanks to both of you. My grill looks like this and I did place the pan in the proper notch. Again, thank you.

Latest Discussions

Back