Added Lava Rock grill gasket, but my barrel is apparently dented! [[ SOLVED ]]

DJDDay

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
Well crap. It's averaging 11 Fahrenheit where I'm at right now, so I pulled my pro 780 inside for the night to bring it to room temp. Wanted to clean and prep the lid edge so I could add some Lava Rock thermal gasket to help keep my lid a bit sealed better, as I do lose some smoke (and heat) around the edges. Was admiring my work until I noticed - I HAVE A HUGE GAPING DENT ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF MY BARREL!

* SIGH* :mad::mad::mad:😭😭😭

I know I can take it back and exchange it, but to be fair - it's a pain in the @$$ to assemble and I've already spent a crap ton of time on this one (installed the shelf *PLUS* just added the Lava Rock). Has anyone here ever had to bang out a dent on the Pro series? The steel seems thick, but clearly it can be bent/deformed. Anyone have any pro-tips on how to bang this dent out without destroying my powder coating?

Attachments

• IMG_6219.jpg
    IMG_6219.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_6221.jpg
    IMG_6221.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_6224.jpg
    IMG_6224.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_6223.jpg
    IMG_6223.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 113
This is just a thought, so follow at your own risk (but it is what I'd try on mine, if needed).

Instead of trying to bang it out, I'd put a wood block on the outside and use a C clamp to pull the dent out. You might need to make the wood block slightly curved or U shaped to get the dent fully out.

My first 575 delivered with the same dent...
Traeger said they would send me a drum, but then I asked "that's 'with' the legs base attached, right?"
Next thing I knew sending a new drum wasn't 'possible' so I had to exchange the whole thing

KraZ440 has the best advice here...​

This is just a thought, so follow at your own risk (but it is what I'd try on mine, if needed).

Instead of trying to bang it out, I'd put a wood block on the outside and use a C clamp to pull the dent out. You might need to make the wood block slightly curved or U shaped to get the dent fully out.

Thanks. I might try that, but first - I'm going to use a set of hand seamers (with a thick piece of rubber or cloth between the clamp and my powder coat) and see if I can lightly "bend" it back into shape. It's a pretty big dent, but it's not so huge that I shouldn't be able to close up that gap (which is all I really want):

IMG_6233.jpg

IMG_6235.jpg

Will try to use the shorter end of these to bend it back into shape:

hand_seamer.jpg

My first 575 delivered with the same dent...
Traeger said they would send me a drum, but then I asked "that's 'with' the legs base attached, right?"
Next thing I knew sending a new drum wasn't 'possible' so I had to exchange the whole thing

Yikes. I've had mine for less than 30 days, so I'd imagine Traeger would just tell me to take it back to Home Depot and exchange it. But I've already invested so much time into setting this up (seasoning, attaching the front shelf, and now adding thermal gasket), I'd prefer just to correct the dent on this one and keep it.

It looks damaged prior to sale, so I'd give Traeger a call on replacing the barrel under warranty and if they balks, take it back to Home Depot. No reason to pay that kind of money for a damaged grill.

I'd then buy the Big Century model from Costco.

but first - I'm going to use a set of hand seamers
you'd have a better chance playing "pick-up-sticks" with your butt cheeks than getting those hand seamers to work

you'd have a better chance playing "pick-up-sticks" with your butt cheeks than getting those hand seamers to work

That's adorable, ye of such little faith. ;)

I'm satisfied with the results, as I was able to close the gap 99% of it's original variance (which is in alignment with some other areas of the lid).

Before:

Before.jpg

After:

After.jpg

I'll try and take a better shot with better lighting later - what appears to be a gap in the photo is actually just shadow. It's meeting the metal for the most part.

Now just put a dent in the lid to match the drum!!!🤣

goodjob.gif

That's adorable, ye of such little faith. ;)

I'm satisfied with the results, as I was able to close the gap 99% of it's original variance (which is in alignment with some other areas of the lid).

Before:

View attachment 8178

After:

View attachment 8179

I'll try and take a better shot with better lighting later - what appears to be a gap in the photo is actually just shadow. It's meeting the metal for the most part.
That looks great. Next test is smoke something and see if you notice any more leaks from there.

Now just put a dent in the lid to match the drum!!!🤣

Dent is gone for the most part. :rolleyes:

That looks great. Next test is smoke something and see if you notice any more leaks from there.

Thanks. Yeah I'll be firing it up for a test as soon as the weather cooperates. My patio isn't covered so it's a waiting game here, unfortunately.

** For anyone who is interested, I highly recommend the Lava Rock grill gasket for your lap-over-lid style Traeger (or any other smoker devoid of a proper gasket). Even if it doesn't improve your seal that much, the change it makes when closing your lid (making it a nice, smooth "thump" instead of a klangy metal "ting") is so satisfying - LOL!!! Feels like I'm closing a fridge door now.

Back