60 degree + temperature fluctuations, Pro Series 34

Simple Searcher

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 34
New owner here, and frustrated. Using the grill I got for Christmas for a second time.
Traeger support is little help.

At this point I will buy the part, it is like they are doing everything they can to not send me a part.

Here is what is what I have:
Pro Series 34
Traeger pellets, brand new from Academy and have been stored in a 5 gallon sealed bucket in the house for two days.
Start up with door closed and on smoke, then turn up after 15 minutes.
The door closes good
The grill is clean, it has only been used once in January, then today. Total of about 6 hours of use. vacuumed out pot after the first use.

Here is what is happening.
Set at 180 degrees, temps range from 152-215, 63 degrees
Set at 225 degrees, temps range from 172-240, 68 degrees

This cycles up and down and where it stops and goes up or down isn't always consistent. Sometimes only a 50 degree differential. .

Anyone dealt with this?

i did see fluctuations on my old pro 34 but nothing like that, the most i saw was like 25 degree swings on a very windy day.....nice summer days the thing was pretty rock solid......i do notice, even on my timberline that the lower the temp u set the more it seems to swing.....above 250 everything seems alot more steady

This is where the FireBoard 2 would come in handy as it graphs the cook which you can show to Traeger. I did the same on my IW885 showing the temp had a 20 degree delta between what was shown and what the Fireboard showed.

New owner here, and frustrated. Using the grill I got for Christmas for a second time.
Traeger support is little help.

At this point I will buy the part, it is like they are doing everything they can to not send me a part.

Here is what is what I have:
Pro Series 34
Traeger pellets, brand new from Academy and have been stored in a 5 gallon sealed bucket in the house for two days.
Start up with door closed and on smoke, then turn up after 15 minutes.
The door closes good
The grill is clean, it has only been used once in January, then today. Total of about 6 hours of use. vacuumed out pot after the first use.

Here is what is happening.
Set at 180 degrees, temps range from 152-215, 63 degrees
Set at 225 degrees, temps range from 172-240, 68 degrees

This cycles up and down and where it stops and goes up or down isn't always consistent. Sometimes only a 50 degree differential. .

Anyone dealt with this?
I have dealt with this with my brand new Pro 34 back in 2020. It arrived in May, and after a month of fooling with the temperature issues (with multiple tech support calls), they sent me a new probe for the barrel - since it was bent during shipping - and a new fan. Before going to the lengths of installing the new parts, I decided to "unbend" the probe (I had a spare, so why not), and the temp fluctuation got a bit better, but not great. I then noticed that my husband had tightened down the cap on the top of the chimney quite a bit when he put it together, so I opened it up some. Once I did that, the temperature stopped fluctuating so wildly.

So, my suggestions would be: make sure the barrel probe is straight (and clean), and make sure the chimney cap is allowing enough space for air to escape (I think my manual said 2 inches? I could be wrong on that.) If you keep having issues, then you might want to investigate getting the fan replaced.

Latest Discussions

Back